Okay, so you have your Art Direction done. Your wardrobe is set. You’ve hired your photographer and MUA. Your photoshoot date has been booked. But, you take one look in the mirror and think, “I’ve got some work to do.”
I’m not saying that you don’t look photoshoot ready, you are a glamorous force of nature! But, you don’t quite feel your youthful, refreshed, and alive self. Well, you’re in luck. I’ve got a few insider tips and tricks up my sleeve from decades of photoshoot preparation.
These are little changes you can add into your daily life, preferably six weeks before your shoot. I’ve thrown a few in for those last minute, “Holy crap, I have a shoot in 3 days!” times too.
These tips have served me quite well over the years. Not everything works for everyone, and I’m obviously not a Doctor. But, hopefully some of these might help you look and feel your most beautiful self at your next shoot!
If you are struggling with what to wear, visualizing your brand, wardrobe styling, location scouting, or any other detail, shoot us an email! We’ll guide you to your most epic shoot ever.
Nothing will age you faster or make you look more ragged than stress. In a 2012 study from the journal, PLoS ONE, they found that, “Work-related exhaustion is related to the acceleration of the rate of biological aging.“ Get that mess under control. I know life can throw some serious storms your way, but you have more control than you think. You have the power to manage your stress levels. Here are a few things I have found extremely helpful in stress management.1. Natural Calm Magnesium Tea
2. Epsom Salt Baths
3. Diffusing Essential Oils
4. Daily Yoga Practice
– I highly recommend drinking a mug of warm Natural Calm Tea nightly, right before bed. Magnesium is critical in reducing stress, and it’s difficult to get adequate Magnesium in our modern diets. This drink also has magical de-bloating powers. I swear, I never wake up bloated if I’ve had my Natural Calm. Sleep is also a major factor in how you look and feel. Having a big dose of Magnesium at night will send you off into a deep dream state.
– Epsom Salt baths are a great way to relieve tired muscles and de-bloat. The salt helps detoxify your body, helping you shed a bit more vanity weight, and it’s super relaxing too, which helps with your stress levels.
– I love diffusing essential oils. My favorite blend for reliving anxiety and stress is 1-3 drops of Lavender, Grapefruit, Eucalyptus, Ying Lang, and Frankincense. DoTERRA also makes a superb blend called “Serenity.” If you are looking for a great diffuser, I recommend this one by NOW Foods.
– “Yoga is the answer. The question is irrelevant.” AMEN! If you don’t already have a daily yoga practice, start one now. This lesson took me way too long to learn. Even if you add 5 minutes of yoga into your life, you will reap immeasurable benefits. Daily yoga will reduce your stress, add clarity to your mind, and give you loads of body positivity. If you are new to yoga, I would highly recommend starting the 30 days of Yoga with Adrienne. She has truly built a practice for the everyman. She breaks yoga down in a way that is easy to digest. Her practices are so yummy. Dive in.
– Supplements! B Vitamin Complexes have been shown to “Play an important role in keeping our bodies running like well-oiled machines. These essential nutrients help convert our food into fuel, allowing us to stay energized throughout the day. While many of the following vitamins work in tandem, each has its own specific benefits — from promoting healthy skin and hair to preventing memory loss or migraines.” I start each morning with Premier Research Labs, Max BnD. This helps elevate my mood and keeps my energy steady. I also recommend taking Turmeric for inflammation (which can lead to more bloating) and high quality EPA fish oil that aids in warding off anxiety. High cortisol levels have been equated to extra fat around the middle. I’m the BIGGEST supporter of Collagen Peptides. What’s a “Collagen Peptide?”, you ask. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and is a key constituent of all connective tissue. Bottom line, this is the natural botox you’ve been searching for. I put two scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen with a teaspoon of Coconut Oil in my coffee every morning. It tastes great, keeps me full for hours, and stops me from getting caffeine jitters because two scoops of Collagen has 18 grams of protein! Collagen is definitely on my list of miracle supplements. You’ll definitely need to add this into your diet for a few months before you start visibly noticing a difference. However, you’ll feel better right away.
It’s a word that’s thrown around a little too much. Can we really “Detox”? I don’t have the answer, but I do know a few ways to flush the bad stuff out of your body and quickly.1. Water, Water, Water, and More Water!
2. Herbal Teas
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
4. Clean Eating (Cut the Carbs/Sodium/Sugar/Processed Foods)
– Drink some water! Drink some more water! Then, have another glass of water! Seriously, most of us are walking around completely dehydrated without even knowing it. I aim for 1 gallon of water a day. It’s important to note, you’ll want to limit your water intake 1-2 days before your shoot so you can drop any extra water weight. Dehydrating yourself can be very dangerous. So, please keep drinking water. I usually limit myself to a 1/2 a gallon and then drink water minimally the day of a shoot or big event.
– Herbal teas are a really great way to meet your water intake goals while adding healthy herbs to your diet. I drink 3-4 cups of Green Tea a day to boost my metabolism and mood. Numi Tea is my favorite! About 2 weeks leading up to any shoot, I start adding Everyday Detox Tea into my diet. It’s a great way to naturally reduce water retention. You could also drink Dandelion Tea, but I find the taste a little off-putting. The benefits are the same. Back to lowering your stress, I find drinking 1-2 cups of Cup of Calm Tea helps keep me balanced throughout the day.
– As part of my get glowing routine, I start each morning with warm lemon water and then a glass of water with 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar. The health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar are endless. I find that starting the day off with a little ACV keeps my appetite down and helps flush a little extra sodium out of my body
– I couldn’t write a blog post about looking your best at a photoshoot without talking about your diet. In general, following a clean eating diet will improve your inward and outward health. The Whole30 Plan works well for me when I need to follow something. I recommend lowering your carbohydrate, sodium, and sugar intake 2 weeks before your shoot. I completely cut carbohydrates 2-4 weeks before I’m shooting. Carbohydrates lead to greater water retention and will make you look more bloated on camera. We’re definitely talking vanity weight here. Up your water, teas, and cut out alcohol (yes, even that awesome glass of wine at night). As soon as your shoot is over, treat yourself to a little glass of vino!
- Last Minute Tips and Tricks
Yeah, I get it. Your shoot is tomorrow and you have zero time to do ANY of these things. Don’t fret, I’ve got a few more tricks up my sleeve.- White Eyeliner, I don’t take a picture without it. Line the water line of your eyes with white eyeliner. This will instantly make your eyes look larger and refreshed!
– Have under eye bags? Not anymore! Grind up some coffee and mix it with some coconut oil. Then, gently pat the concoction under your eyes. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, and wash away with a light cleanser. The caffeine instantly tightens your skin. Protip: This works wonders as a cellulite scrub too. Unfortunately, the benefits don’t last too long. But, it will get you through your shoot!
– Sleep it off! Seriously, nothing replaces a restful night of sleep. Try to get 8-9 hours of sleep before your shoot. This will help balance your mood, appetite, and help you look and feel refreshed.
Lastly, the most epic thing you can do to look and feel refreshed at your next photoshoot is to exude confidence. Nothing makes a person look better than feeling great in their own skin. Embrace everything you consider to be a flaw, embrace your quirks, embrace everything that makes you, you. Be the best version of yourself, and your shoot will be a total success.
If you have any of your own tips and tricks, let us know. If you try any of these and they worked for you, leave a comment below!